Friday, August 31, 2012

Announcing the Inaugural Love My Life (virtual) 5K!

I am SO excited about this and hope you will be too! Please feel free to share. I'm not even sure how to begin, but borrowing another teammate's great idea (thank you Cara) I bring you the first annual (virtual) Love My Life 5K!

What is the Love My Life (virtual) 5K? Well, it's an event for those of you who want the medal but don't want to (or can't) do the 5k (a 5K is 3.1 miles). BUT... this one is special and I hope to make it an annual event. It's to celebrate the life of our Liz, but also celebrate our lives, to love and embrace this wonderful gift we wake up to every day (even when they are rough) ~ life!

Proceeds will benefit The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society via Team in Training where I am training to complete a full marathon in Dublin, Ireland (yes, Ireland) on October 29, 2012 and then the Tinker Bell Half right here at hometown Disneyland on January 13, 2013.

What is virtual? Well, it means that technically, there is no race so it's anytime you want it to be or works for you, but officially, it is Tuesday, October 16, 2012 (Liz's Angel Date). You can go out and run around the block, walk or run the 3.1 miles anywhere you want, or just sit on the couch and know you contributed to a good cause in the name of a wonderful young woman, my sister, Liz.

My hope is to grow this into an actual, real live, 5k every year on her Angel Date to remind us to Love Our Lives, and to raise awareness and money to find a cure for Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

Every participant will receive a finisher's medal personally designed by me to display proudly:) Here is a sneak preview of the art and I hope to have the actual medal posted soon.

This year, it falls on a Tuesday, and though it is virtual, anyone who wants to meet me at Yorba Regional that morning (time TBD, but early) to walk or run the 3.1 miles with me in Liz's honor (or any portion of it) is MORE than welcome and encouraged!

I hope you like the art and are ready to register because Registration IS open! Registration will be open through September 28, 2012. Your medal will be mailed to you in time for you to have it by race day.

To order just click on the PayPal Buy Button to the right (top right). If you don't have PayPal you'll still be able to buy using your debit/credit card using that link. If you have any questions, send me a message at lovemylife4liz@aol.com

Thank you...Shellee a.k.a. Sissy

 

12 comments:

  1. Love, love, love this idea Shellee! I may not be able to do a "live" 5k on a Tuesday, but will surely attend virtually!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! You're my first comment! I love it too Patty and I hope everyone does. I am SO excited about it. When I figure out how to make it real, I'm sure we'll do it on the closest weekend, but till then, it's grass roots and virtual :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, love it SO MUCH, my Sweetie. My heart swells with Love and Pride, once again, for you, and the wondrous things you do in the name of, and for, your Beloved Sister...Our Beloved Liz. I'm in! :)

    With so much Love, Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found this!! What an amazing idea!! Count me in and here's the good news, I will be doing a triathlon October 16 in San Diego, so my five K will be complete! LOL I love you Shelllee. You are such an inspirational person! My heart aches for you and your family, as I know how hard it is to have a precious loved one leave for heaven. But, I celebrate life with you! I press on to find a cure for this dreaded disease. I continue to live life to the fullest, until it is my time to go home. I LOVE MY LIFE!
    Love,
    Diane Rogers (a sister from another mister)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the BESTEST!! I love you too. I almost stopped by earlier today; wasn't sure if you were home. I procrastinated and did my miles in the heat/ugh. Should've been a 10 mile day, but I got 5 done. Hard to self motivate sometimes/lol. I dropped a cookbook off at Kathy's house. I am SO excited you're gonna do this AND you'll be doing a tri on that day! How very cool is that! xoxo

      Delete
    2. Aaaaahhh you should have come over. I just hung out here today :-) Yeah I will earn two medals that day!! :-) See you soon I hope :-)

      Delete
  5. Wow... this is SO amazing Shellee! I know Liz has the biggest smile right now. Everything you always did and continue to do. You have such an amazing heart & are a true inspiration... I am exited that I will be able to WALK (maybe jog for one block) and be part of it. Thank you for that! Count me in! Big big hug to You, Momma & Sean, Love you 3. LML

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is SO great to hear Liz; good to hear your recovery is coming along well. Been thinking of you. I am very excited about this 5k! Love you back. xo

      Delete
  6. How long do we have to sign up? This is a wonderful event to do in honor of your sister .. and it is nice that we can walk here at home ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nova! Registration will be open all month; close at midnight September 30th to give me time to get everyone's medal to them.

      Delete
  7. I will have to walk/ stroll this weekend. Tonight we will be at the Beach in her honor... Love is Light

    ReplyDelete